Wednesday, October 27, 2010
Baby Steps, Big Changes in 21 days. I Challenge, You, World...
This challenge to you all is inspired by a relatively recent (2 years ago, ok I said relative) weight loss. Who'd have thought that saving sweets and treats to weekends and eating only one snack (of portion size) between meals would support a 25lb weight loss and maintenance for years to come? Also in lieu of more recent goals of mastering myself in Exercise Science and Health Promotion in order to follow a passion for playing my part in creating a healthier happier world....I'm creating a challenge for people of the world (however big this world of mine is, surrounding my blog and my life) to make a change. 1 small change in their health. We all want to be healthy, fit individuals though getting there is daunting when you think about diets, nutrition, vitamins/supplements, stretching, exercising, sleep, low stress, good food, bad food, moderation etc etc. It's a LOT to think about and it's hard to put the right foot forward when trying to achieve so many goals in so many different places. However, while difficult, it's not impossible. it takes dedication, accountability, strength, knowledge, perseverance, hope, flexibility, a goal and a plan.
According to Florida International University, and various other research sources out there, it takes 21 days to form a habit (or in our situation, a lifestyle change) and conversely 21 days to break a habit. So, with this in mind, knowing that if we can dedicate ourselves to one part of our health...we can form a healthy lifestyle habit in just 21 days, 3 weeks.
How it will happen:
1) What 1 thing would you like to change. (don't worry, if there's more than one...there will be more challenges to come)
2) What exactly do you want to do with this change, what's your goal?
3) Make a plan, how will you do this?
4) Educate yourself on how to make the change, find a way that makes it happen for you. Not everything, every technique will work exactly the same for everyone. Be flexible to make it suit your lifestyle..though be consistent in making it happen. So you love coffee, want to ditch the caffeine, try decaff or try half decaff half caff. Save caff for special occasions. What have you. Educate yourselves on how to do it, what's worked for others, what will work for you.
5) Mark your calendar and journal
6) Find a means to holding yourself accountable. Find a friend, a group, someone or something that will keep you honest along your journey.
7) Don't beat yourself up. If you slip up, get back up on that wagon and look upward and onward. Failure is feedback, learn something from your slip up.
8) reward yourself, don't deprive yourself of things that make the world a happier place. If chocolate brings you to a happy place, why deprive yourself of that small pleasure. Find a special time to indulge yourself. Find enjoyment and control over your indulgence to avoid over-doing it.
9) Pass it on, spread the word. A healthy world is a happier world
10) Smile, it releases endorphins
So....who's in? You can do this!